History - Brigalows School
Brigalows School.
In 1938 an attractive timber building of two rooms, joined by a breezeway, was built at “Brigalows” by Mr Ken Wilson, the then owner of the station. Heating was from a fireplace at the front of the classroom. It was originally a “subsidised school.” The building was constructed by Mr Nat Hagan, a well-known building and shearing contractor in the district.
Records dated 11th October, 1939 show that six boys and three girls were being taught; the teacher being Miss Beryl Heywood.
The school served an area that was roughly bounded by Wea, Bereen, Coondarra and Trevallyn Stations. The school became a “provisional school” in 1947 and a qualified teacher was provided by the Department of Education. The first department provided teacher was Richard (Dick) Eather.
Extensions, painting and repair works were carried out in 1962, providing additional accommodation for current and anticipated enrolments. The repair work included making the breezeway part of the main classroom and adding an enclosed verandah on the northern side. Also added, were two tanks, and a covered area with taps and enamel hand dishes (not basins). This work was undertaken by Irwin Brothers (Geoff & Ted) who camped at the front of the school in caravans.
In 1963 the school was upgraded to Public Primary School. It was during this year that the numbers attending the school began to decline. The school closed in 1972 with a final school concert and Christmas tree being held at the Shearers’ Mess Hut at the Brigalows Woolshed. Remaining children were taken by bus to Barraba Central School from the beginning of 1973. When the Hays family sold Brigalows the school reserve was re-surveyed back into the property and the building was removed.
The school flag had a white background with a red triangle under the word “BRIGALOWS”
